Hindsight

The HSC students are sitting their final exams, and in my old age I'm getting all reflective.

So now, with my extra pearls of wisdom, I can laugh at my first worries about uni:

My main concern?

"I'm not going to make any friends at uni and will be a little hermit eating my lunch alone in the library"

Everyone tried to tell me that I would be fine. That everyone is in the same boat.
My brain does not accept these things until I've experienced them myself.
I was petrified because on my very first day of uni I had a three hour break scheduled and was in a panic as to what I was going to do with my hermit self for three hours.

Let me tell you, I'm not cool. I can be painfully socially awkward, especially meeting new people.
I made friends. I made friends before uni had officially started!

On enrolment day I met a girl on the bus. I noticed that she had a penguin classic tote bag with The Great Gatsby on it, and decided that odds were I would probably get along with a fellow book lover. So when we got off the bus at uni I said something to her, probably some complaint about public transport. From there we hung around together for the enrolment process, and as I was leaving I asked her (very awkwardly mind you) for her contact details (oh so formal). I got her facebook, where we fretted over the timetable and learnt we liked the same tv shows and books.

Seems she's stuck with me considering we sit together every day and I plan roadtrips to her area because it's so pretty in the mountains. I also use her as a personal library- the friendship has its perks ;)

She had a friend, and we the first time we met we discussed the possibilities of running a black-market umbrella/blanket business out of a locker (can you see that I've found my people?) This one is also stuck with me because she has an 8 seater land rover and I like the power rush of observing the small vehicles below me.

Boom. Two friends.

I met another girl on orientation day because I made the choice to avoid an empty seat to sit next to her on the bus. Sure enough we got on really well, exchanged facebook info (yay for social media) and once again I get the perk of having a reason to go to Manly. Plus a reason to have a Leonardo DiCaprio fest (which needs to happen soon!).

I went into uni knowing absolutely no one, but by the end of my first day I had met a good proportion of my current group of friends. I can guarantee that if you make the effort and try to step out of the comfort zone, you will be rewarded with some of the most amazing people you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D Blog Week 2017: Diabetes and the Unexpected

D Blog Week 2017: What Brings Me Down

Diabetes Blog Week 2016: Message Monday