Social media- I shake my head in despair

I'm a bit delayed, but I found out about this lovely incident this morning. A cafe decided that they would name a cronut on their menu diabetes. In short, the internet exploded.
They issued an apology, and have taken it off the menu- I have no issue.

But I have a HUGE issue with the comments section on their facebook page. Many are commenting that the people complaining
- don't have a sense of humour
- are oversensitive
- need to get over it

One comment even linked diabetics with cheap toys- poorly made, weak,  and fragile.    

*deep breath*
Im breaking out a list

1) Oversensitive? Right, ok. So if it's ok to call a dish diabetes, it's ok to call one renal failure? Stroke? What about cancer? They are equally inappropriate names.

2) "Oh get a sense of humour". I like to laugh about my diabetes, I encourage everyone to do the same! But misinformation isn't funny, it's ignorance. By putting out a dish clearly swamped in sugary treats and calling it diabetes, you're linking eating sugar and a chronic illness. For the last time, type 1 isn't linked to sugar consumption and type 2 has genetic components. Your joke isn't funny if it's fundamentally flawed.

3) "Get over it". Yes I was over it until I saw people attacking diabetics. We are not weak, fragile, over indulgent and oversensitive idiots.

Am I feeding the trolls? Probably.
For every few trolls there is one serious commenter thinking taking in the wrong message about diabetes, and diabetics.

It's as simple as this- get your facts straight and don't call someone weak for promoting accurate information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons why my diabetes doesn't want me to be an SP

The Cure- Part 2

DBlog Week 2016: Language and Diabetes