More low adventures

Time for another hypo rant!

This morning my diabetes clearly didn’t want me to be waking up early for a 6 hour orientation at uni.
So it decided to give me a level of 3.6 (under 4 is a hypo/low blood sugar)

That’s fine, no dramas.
Then it dropped to 3.3- yay.

So that was dealt with and off I went for a long orientation.
Then the hypo from the depths of the underworld came along- yes it deserves that title.


I was heading back to my car having just got off the train. Minding my own business I was trying to make a call (I was definitely already low but couldn’t feel it) and they didn’t pick up.

*note: probably a good thing, I wouldn’t have made much sense and might have insulted someone*

So as I was glaring at my phone for having the audacity to disconnect due to a busy line, a man approached me. He asked if I was alright, probably mildly concerned about the half lucid girl glaring at a mobile whilst dragging herself up a street.
I think I was nice enough but said I was completely fine thanks.
My low brain made me think he was a bit of a creep. Of course I’m fine! Why wouldn’t I be fine? Why is it anyone's business if I’m fine? You don't make sense! YOU'RE the one that's not fine!

*note: never trust the low brain*

Still unaware I was low I turned the corner and could see my car up the road. Then my brain decided that it would now alert me to its low state and make everything spin. I thought it was probably safer for me to run to my car than sit on the ground in a side street. I see the logic but I was lucky to have made it to my car. Rule 1 of a low blood sugar: Sit.down.now. No walking, no running, no anything.

Woops

The next twenty minutes involved treating a level of 2.6 (<2.8 is a pretty harsh one) by downing 2 juice boxes, a bag of chips and calling my mum. At least I had the common sense to alert someone that I was alone in my car stuffing chips into my mouth.
Then my lovely, highly stressed out parents came to get me because I was fairly set on driving home in my post hypo state.

My conclusion? Hypos suck and parents are awesome at staying calm in a crisis. They’re also pretty pro at understanding you even when you’ve not got a working brain.

Also, apologies to the well meaning man on the street- thanks for not judging me even though I glared at you and looked drunk at 4 in the afternoon. Sorry for the colourful language that was running through my head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons why my diabetes doesn't want me to be an SP

This is what diabetes looks like

A Pause